5 Things Every Guy Should Own
Alright guys, it's your turn! I recently have had the pleasure of working with several men to create living spaces that reflect their grown-up style and tastes - in some cases we had to figure out what that style and taste was. After working on these projects I decided to write this post to share a little insight into what pieces can elevate your space and give it a more polished look.
1. Furniture that reflects your style and fits the space. Whether it is sleek and modern, warm and industrial, or something in between; your space should reflect you. Have no clue what your style is? Get online and go do your research! Look around Pinterest or Instagram and see what you are drawn to. Once you have your style figured out it's time to start looking for furniture and accessories. I always prefer to build a room from a variety of stores instead of just going to a West Elm or Restoration Hardware to buy EVERYTHING. Be picky and choose pieces you really love. Remember, furniture can come from lots of places and it does not need to be expensive.
2. A great area rug. An area rug anchors the room. Even if you have wall-to-wall carpet I always recommend an area rug under a seating area. Make sure you pick one that is big enough. Furniture should sit on the rug, not in front of it. With endless styles the sky really is the limit. Remember, if you have a sofa (not a couch) that has a pattern you need to balance it with a more neutral rug.
3. Artwork (preferably in a frame). I hate to break it to you, but it’s time to retire your beer and naked girl posters from college. Art is probably the most personal thing in your space. It makes you feel and it says a lot about you to other people. Whether it’s abstract paintings or a wall of Instagram pics, put something on the walls. Trust me, a woman will definitely notice your artwork...
4. Real Drinking Glasses. Nothing against mugs, but a woman does not want to sip wine from your "coffee makes me poop" mug. If you’re accident prone, like my wonderful husband, stemless wine glasses might be a great option. Also a must: pint glasses for water or beer and some juice glasses. Make sure you have at least a matching set of four for when you have friends over.
5. A Green Plant. I understand that not everyone has a green thumb, which is why I said green instead of real. Whether it is a real plant or a plastic one you pick up at IKEA, a room is not complete without something green. If you do go real it will show that you can take care of something. If you go fake, don't let her get too close and she'll never know. Either way, you win.
This is really just the tip of the iceberg. If you are completely lost and have no clue where to start, let's talk! We love working with clients to bring their dream homes to life.
Did you like this post? Share It!
#Guys #interiordesign #apartmentliving #homedecor #Furniture #Accessories